How to Choose a UPVC Window Installer
Now that you have decided to have some new replacement uPVC windows for your home, you even considered the style and materials, but how do you choose an uPVC window installer? Unfortunately choosing the right uPVC window installer requires even more consideration than choosing the windows itself. That is because it’s vital that the window installer fits the windows correctly, otherwise they could cause lots of underlining problems. We at Peterborough Doors are here to help as we are experts in the window industry.
How to install windows
As it may be tempting to save money and go to the cheapest window company, there may be a reason why this window company is so cheap and will you receive the correct guarantees and reassurance. When uPVC windows are installed incorrectly they will cause a multitude of problems, such as air and water leaks. If this is the case you will probably need to get another PVCu installer back out to correct these problems. Play it safe and contact Peterborough Doors as we only employ professional window fitters.
Some people even try to install these windows themselves, however if you damage these windows you will be liable for the breakage, which could result in re-ordering some more windows. We recommend that you only use a professional double glazing installer and do not use builders, as you will not have the same re-assurances.
When you contact an uPVC window installer you should consider the time scale. If a window company can install immediately, then you should be concerned where they are getting their windows from. We estimate at least 4 to 6 weeks if these windows are being made to measure. You should also ensure that the window company will be removing your old windows, the last thing you will want to see is your old windows on your drive after installation. You should also confirm that the window fitter will be removing and replacing that window on the same day. You don’t want your window fitters to finish that day and leave your home open to cold weather not mentioning unsafe and vulnerable.
How to choose the right window fitter
- Always check that the window fitters are certified by an approved body. We at Peterborough Doors are certified through CERTASS, which ensures that we hold the correct qualifications and reassurance. The last thing you want is to spend a lot of money on replacement windows then find that they are ruined by a poor window installer.
- Don’t just choose the cheapest price. It may be tempting to save money, but the cheapest is not always the safe option. We only use Liniar windows as we know that they are one of the most trusted window manufacturer, they also hold a 10 year guarantee, which we pass on to the consumer.
- You should also bear-in-mind that the most expensive windows do not necessary warranty the best service, as many larger double glazing companies will charge unnecessarily charges.
- If you choose a local double glazing installer with the same accreditations and skillset, such as Peterborough Doors, you will find that we are a lot cheaper than those national double glazing companies, we are also a lot more flexible to your schedule and can assist with your work demands.
- Check the company’s recommendations, including reviews. If the window fitters hold the correct qualifications but holds a string of recent bad reviews stating that their workmanship was shabby or poor, then that double glazing company is probably not for you.
- Try to avoid friends, local DIY men, also builders, these do not hold the correct certifications so if you do have problems it will cost you a fortune in the long run in legal costs.
- Don’t be pressured into signing anything immediately. Most national double glazing companies try to pressurise a sale, they even use ‘my boss is on the phone and we will give you this discount, if you sign up now’. Their salesmen are on commission so the higher the sale the better the commission. We at Peterborough Doors do not employ external sales reps on commission, so our prices are not hyped up, we aim to be very competitive.
- Make sure that the company is fully insured. If anything goes wrong with the installation and the windows are damaged, the company needs liability insurance.
UPVC window prices
All companies charge different prices for replacement windows. It is possible that there will be a huge difference between the highest price and the cheapest. We recommend that you check the like-for-like window prices i.e. we use Liniar manufacturer. If the prices are similar for the same window profile, you can then make your mind up based on the professionalism of the sales rep and customer services. You will always get that gut feeling if you like that particular company or not.
If you are looking for replacement uPVC windows for your home then browse our casement windows, sliding sash windows and tilt & turn windows.